AWS Degree Apprentice
Reporting to: AWS Director
Salary range: £16,000 + benefits + free tuition
About the role
Our Amazon Web Services (AWS) Division was the first to win the Public Sector competency in the UK and has been helping the public sector to use AWS since 2009.
We do everything from simple migrations to complex application platforms and we are starting to build our own products using AWS. We are experts in cloud architecture, security and monitoring.
We are offering a four year Degree Apprenticeship with Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) that leads to a BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions as a Network Engineer.
To get this role, you will both need to be offered it by us and to be approved to study on the course by ARU (we will help to arrange that). You will spend most of the four years working as part of our team but we will give you time out in which to do your study and attend the course.
At the end of the four years, you should have a degree and we will know you well so we would then expect to be able to offer you a permanent job.
We expect your time to be split roughly as follows:
● 40% on building, testing and documenting new AWS infrastructure & Web front-ends that access it
● 40% on supporting live AWS infrastructure
● 20% doing work for your degree
The key thing here is combining technical skills with the ability to build practical services that people can understand and use.
What you'll be doing
● Writing & testing scripts that build AWS infrastructure or automate processes and occasionally manually configuring services that cannot be scripted.
● Writing JSON files
● Building visualizations using an ELK stack
● Responding to, owning and resolving support calls
● Keeping abreast of new developments involving AWS services and the languages that you are using
● Being flexible in adapting to new situations, client requirements, different business practices and the challenges of working in the public sector
Please note that candidates who do not live within easy commuting distance of our Cambridge office will need to explain on their application how they expect to get to and from our site on a daily basis
What we need from you
Evidence that you can build systems and write code or scripts that work
Energy and desire to make a success of the work that you do
Happy to take ownership of issues in order to ensure that they are successfully resolved
'Have a go' spirit
Willing to 'have a go' and try new approaches and activities in order to get a good result
Keen to take pride in your work and deliver solutions that work well and delight clients
Keen to make things better both in terms of the services that we provide and your own skills & knowledge
Keen to deliver for people and to work with them. Good sense of humour.
What we'd like from you
Experience of and interest in building systems and / or writing programmes
Experience of providing good customer service perhaps through working in a retail job
We’re a growing software and consultancy company working hard to keep the entrepreneurial fun atmosphere of a start-up. We always aim to be a company people want to work for.
Our software is developed using agile methodologies, working closely with our public sector customers.
Ideas and inspiration come from all staff regardless of role. Guilds provide an easy way to expand knowledge and experience outside of standard departments.
We partner with the best in the business, including Salesforce and Amazon Web Services. We’re the first UK based company to be named AWS Government Competency Partner, recognising our expertise within the public sector.
We are listed in the 2017 Deloitte Technology Fast 50. It is an acknowledgement of the 50 fastest-growing technology companies in the UK. The ranking is based on revenue growth over the last four years.
Winner of the Barclays Small Business Excellence Awards 2016, which is given to companies that have displayed outstanding innovation, product, quality, service, imagination, marketing and managerial skills.
Winner of the European IT Excellence Award in 2016 for Customer Solution, which is given to companies that demonstrated how carefully they have been listening to their customers and building solutions that do make a difference.
- Health insurance (for you and your family)
- Medical cash back plan (for you and your family)
- Life insurance
- Pension Scheme - fund match up to 3%
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Holiday Buy/Sell Scheme of up to 5 days
- 35hr week with flexitime and working from home
- The good feeling that comes from working to improve the public sector
- Career progression in your hands, whether you want to work with development, customer relationships or business skills
- Friendly & entrepreneurial environment: we’ve created a stimulating, fun, collaborative and entrepreneurial environment where people are looked after. Joining Arcus means you’ll be joining a 'family' rather than 'just another company'
- Free fruit and healthy snacks
- Social events: Thirsty Thursdays, Souper Mondays, and monthly events organised by Team Awesome make us a very social company
- Social clubs: whether you’re into music, sport, or board games there’ll be a social club for you