Release Engineers (2)
Reporting to: Scrum Master
Salary range: £25-30,000 (DOE) + benefits
About the role
Arcus operates a rich technology stack based around the Salesforce.com platform with solutions built up through Salesforce technologies, Arcus proprietary managed packages, standard configuration components and customer specific configuration and integrations.
As a Release Engineer, you'll be responsible for overseeing product deployments to customer and internal development environments. For external customers, this includes planning, carrying out and monitoring product deployments, ensuring that the customer is aware of your progress throughout a deployment, while proactively updating them on any issues. Within Arcus, you'll liaise with colleagues to deploy product configurations and combinations as required.
Release Engineers play a crucial role in ensuring that customer environments are effectively managed, updates are deployed through a reliable and efficient process, and customers are satisfied through regular product updates and clear communication.
The expectation is that you will use off the shelf tooling and your own development skills to automate as much as possible of the repetitive / repeating tasks and sustain a focus on achieving ever quicker, more reliable and better managed deployments.
The work will generally be self-managed, but also involve working with our Implementation team to onboard new customers and ensure historical configuration is respected or upgraded.
What you'll be doing
- Setup environments according to internal and customer requirements
- Manage the relationships between Development, Testing, Staging and Production environments, within Salesforce and integrated technologies (e.g. GIS, Document Management, Payments)
- Use tools like GearSet, GIT, DataLoader, ChangeSets and Salesforce Environment Hub to deploy code and product configurations
- Plan deployments carefully, uncovering hidden complexities and dependencies between tasks
- Act as a custodian / guardian of product quality and work with the QA Release Manager to ensure that appropriate testing and checking is performed at the various stages by product owners and customers
- Analyse and troubleshoot deployment issues in a timely manner
Product upgrades and patches
- Perform upgrades and deploy patches to a customer’s existing environments and products whilst ensuring users disruption is minimised
- Complete any necessary data migrations / updates to ensure integrity is retained when data model changes are required
- Maintain a good level of communication with customers throughout the process
- Maintain good deployment notes and records as well as suggesting appropriate improvements
- Identify and act upon (e.g. through software development / scripting work) opportunities to automate repetitive manual tasks to focus your efforts on high value stakeholder engagement
What we need from you
- 2+ years of relevant experience (for example system and/or database administration)
- Strong sense of logic and process with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to explain technical steps and/or issues to customers clearly and agree pragmatic routes forward
- Excellent problem solving skills within complex and interconnected technical environments
- Experience deploying software and software configurations within a PaaS / SaaS environment
- Experience of administering a full range of client-specific instances / environments from Development to Live / Production
- Track record of using off-the-shelf tools to automate manual deployment steps
- Ability to work well with others and by self and be responsible for managing a backlog of deployment tasks efficiently
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings due to the nature of the role as most upgrades will be done outside of normal client working hours
What we'd like from you
- Commercial experience of software or database deployment within an enterprise environment
- Software implementation and (customer) configuration experience
- Software development experience
- Knowledge and understanding of local authority services
- Salesforce experience
Arcus Global was established in 2009 by Denis Kaminskiy and Lars Malmqvist. Arcus Global uses technology in a disruptive way, to help the public sector to save costs and deliver transformational change via Cloud-based solutions.
We are a fast growing company and employ over 120 staff in our offices in Cambridge, UK. We work hard to maintain the entrepreneurial energy and spirit of a startup. We encourage all members of staff to share their ideas and inspiration for change and improvements irrespective of their role.
Our software is developed using agile methodologies. We work closely with our public sector customers to ensure our products meet their specific needs.
We partner with the best in the business, including Salesforce and Amazon Web Services. We were the first UK based company to be named AWS Government Competency Partner, recognising our expertise within the public sector.
As a successful and growing business we have a number of awards under our belt. In 2016 we won two major awards. The Barclays Small Business Excellence Awards and the European IT Excellence Award for Customer Solutions.
Arcus is listed in the 2017 Deloitte UK Technology Fast 50, a ranking of the 50 fastest growing technology companies in the UK.
- Health insurance (for you and your family)
- Medical cash back plan (for you and your family)
- Life insurance
- Pension Scheme - fund match up to 3%
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Holiday Buy/Sell Scheme of up to 5 days
- 35hr week with flexitime and working from home
Feel good: all staff work with the knowledge that our products help the public sector to perform better.
Career development: all staff determine their own career development with support from managers.
Friendly environment: we have a stimulating, fun, collaborative and entrepreneurial environment where people are highly valued. Joining Arcus means you’ll be joining a 'family' rather than just another company.
Snacks: we provide free fruit and healthy snacks along with a wide range of beverages.
- Social club & events: we are a friendly bunch and believe that an active social life is important so we have a comprehensive social calendar. Whether you’re into music, sport, or board games there’ll be an activity for you.