Reporting to: Head of Development
Salary range: £25,000 -£30,000 (DOE) + benefits
Closing date: 20 July 2018
About the role
Arcus operates a rich technology stack based around the Salesforce.com platform with solutions built up through Salesforce technologies, Arcus proprietary managed packages, standard configuration components and customer specific configuration and integrations.
As a Technical Writer, you'll be responsible for illustrating the user journey through our applications, creating explanatory videos of features and support the development teams in creating their release notes for clients.
Technical Writers play a crucial role in ensuring that new features and important deployment instructions are well understood by the whole company. Their content may also be circulated to clients to explain new functionality.
The expectation is that you will use off the shelf tooling and your own skills to create a definitive guide to the use of our prime products, as well as making customisation guidance user-friendly.
What you'll be doing
- Work with developers to review their features against explicit ‘acceptance criteria’, non-expert business user expectation and good practice in web applications;
- Create short informative and accurate videos of each feature;
- Create wiki pages for the new area of the product and ensure existing ones are accurate;
- Maintain prose and publicity information for AppExchange working with the Sales and Marketing team.
- Work with SCRUM masters to prepare packaged upgrades / release notes;
- Analyse and troubleshoot deployment instructions in a timely manner;
- Brief members of Implementation and Sales on new features or products.
- Develop new and informative illustrations and graphics.
- Champion adherence to documentation standards by all staff;
- Communicate regularly with project managers so they understand your workload and the rate at which documentation can be completed.
What we need from you
- A degree in Languages or Communications - or evidence of commercial experience producing clear and satisfying copy.
- A feel for words and a good command of grammar and vocabulary;
- A concern for verbal consistency and an appreciation of tone and style;
- An enquiring mind with attention to detail;
- An ability to grasp and structure large amounts of information and anticipate the reader's knowledge gaps;
- Editorial judgement;
- Accuracy and a methodical approach to work;
- The ability to work to tight schedules;
- Excellent planning and organisational skills;
- Analytical skills;
- The ability to express instructions clearly and briefly in simple English;
- Good documentation skills and the ability to produce visually attractive instructions;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, to gather information from and for people;
- The ability to work successfully as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- A good understanding of computers and other communication tools.
What we'd like from you
- Enjoyment of working in teams, collaborating closely with others to help them (and you) to become more effective
- Experience of vlogging and/or corporate blogs or social media usage.
- An interest in technology development.
Arcus Global was established in 2009 by Denis Kaminskiy and Lars Malmqvist. Arcus Global uses technology in a disruptive way, to help the public sector to save costs and deliver transformational change via Cloud-based solutions.
We are a fast growing company and employ over 120 staff in our offices in Cambridge, UK. We work hard to maintain the entrepreneurial energy and spirit of a startup. We encourage all members of staff to share their ideas and inspiration for change and improvements irrespective of their role.
Our software is developed using agile methodologies. We work closely with our public sector customers to ensure our products meet their specific needs.
We partner with the best in the business, including Salesforce and Amazon Web Services. We were the first UK based company to be named AWS Government Competency Partner, recognising our expertise within the public sector.
As a successful and growing business we have a number of awards under our belt. In 2016 we won two major awards. The Barclays Small Business Excellence Awards and the European IT Excellence Award for Customer Solutions.
Arcus is listed in the 2017 Deloitte UK Technology Fast 50, a ranking of the 50 fastest growing technology companies in the UK.
- Health insurance (for you and your family)
- Medical cash back plan (for you and your family)
- Life insurance
- Pension Scheme - fund match up to 3%
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Holiday Buy/Sell Scheme of up to 5 days
- 35hr week with flexitime and working from home
- Feel good: all staff work with the knowledge that our products help the public sector to perform better.
- Career development: all staff determine their own career development with support from managers.
- Friendly environment: we have a stimulating, fun, collaborative and entrepreneurial environment where people are highly valued. Joining Arcus means you’ll be joining a 'family' rather than just another company.
- Snacks: we provide free fruit and healthy snacks along with a wide range of beverages.
- Social club & events: we are a friendly bunch and believe that an active social life is important so we have a comprehensive social calendar. Whether you’re into music, sport, or board games there’ll be an activity for you